Weed Control In Flower Beds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnsquadnc, Jul 31, 2012.

1. lawnsquadnc

lawnsquadnc LawnSite Member

I am wondering what herbicide I should apply to kill the weeds in flower beds with some bushes and flowers. Or should I not apply anything at all.

2. Roundup...if weeds are growing through plants, you need to hand pull. Roundup is non-selective and will kill just about anything.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. davidslawncare

davidslawncare LawnSite Member

I have found a much better product than roundup. I have used roundup for years and pay anywhere from $145-175 for a 2.5 gallon concentrated container. Big-N-Tuff by pronto is $35 bucks for a 2.5 gallon concentrate and it works better and faster than roundup. I won't say roundup is bad, but big-n-tuff is awesome and for the price I can't beat it. You can buy it at tractor supply or online. I'm not sure where else. Good luck!

4. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

That Big N tuff would be Gordon's version of RU if I am correct. Their are lots of cheaper versions of RU out there for sure, but for me RU quick pro granules are the best as I do not have to worry about them once sprayed. I can get a jug of RU quick pro for $70 and not have to worry about the weeds not being dead when I return. The granules are also a lot cleaner and easier to work with.

5. jad004

jad004 LawnSite Senior Member

Must work at tractor supply. Big-N-Tuff has the same AI as Roundup. 41% gly. However, It is a couple of dollars cheaper than roundup if you don't have to drive 100 miles to find a tractor supply. Round up is everywhere. 2 1/2 gallons of round up costs me $40.

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

This is all we use.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

There are lots of GLY products on the market as long as it's 42% gly it's the same as RU, I always go with whatever is on sale, as far as beds go, the granules would seem to be the way to go, I also use snap shot it's safe for use around ornamentals this would be after the RU of course.

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Try prodiamine, cheaper than Snapshot and can be used over the top of most ornamentals.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, John Deere Landscapes' Lesco Prosecutor is somewhere around $75.00 for a 2.5 gallon jug (provided you have an account there). It's also 41% Glyphosate. I recommend using granular Treflan as a pre-emergent control early in the season before the weeds begin to grow and then to treat them with a Gly product if and when they do pop up. The Treflan will roughly last about 90 days or so and a 2nd application will be needed three months into the season.

10. I stocked up on 4 jugs 2 yrs ago when they were $40/ea. 2 minimum. I'm halfway into jug #2. I barely use any roundup in the winter even for Florida. I remember 4 yrs ago, I paid $120 for a jug...
    Posted via Mobile Device