Weed Control in Mulch

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LushGreenLawn, Nov 9, 2006.

1. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

How do most of you control weeds in mulch, flower beds, around shrubs, ect?

I usually do a combination of pulling, round up (for those of you that will bring it up, I am certified). I am thinking of putting down preen at the beginning of this season on my full service accounts.

Is this the norm, or are you able to get away from hand pulling?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I do, weedeater works also.

Just spray roundup until they're gone, I buy a gallon of super-concentrate at $100 / bottle which lasts about a year, then mix in a sprayer. It's a lot of money upfront, but $100 / year is not bad, really it's cheaper than 2-cycle fuel used weedeating.

I made it part of my routine, somewhere between blowing and leaving the bill, I grab the sprayer and do that thing, only takes a few minutes... DO get at least a 2-gallon sprayer thou I like the 2.5 ones available I THINK at Lowe's as a 'Deck and Patio' sprayer (it's the same dang thing as 'garden' sprayers but holds 2.5g vs. 2 lol).

I use a mix of 1.2 ounces Super Round-up per gallon of water, so 3 ounces per 2.5g or 6 oz. per 5g.
    Since one gallon = 128 ounces, so 1.2 oz / g. makes 100 gallons, then your cost = ~$1 / gallon...

3. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

preen is best way for the houses that get a lot of weeds if its only one or two i just pull them out

4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

And a copy of your Dept. of Agriculture approved statement of service with the required application info, along with your signature, certification number, and your company's license number. :)

6. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Preen works great. I have another company apply it after I lay the mulch. Really helps keep the weeds down. If a few do make it through, I just whack em.