Weed control in the fall

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Young Bros, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Young Bros

Young Bros LawnSite Senior Member

The horrible weather this year has us farther behind than any other season. So we are still on late summer (weed control apps). Looks like high 20's tonight (1st big frost), soil temps 45, highs in the 50's lows in the 30's for the next week. We have been using T-Zone (ester based 4-way). How late do the weeds grow? How late do you apply weed control effectively? Do you guys have luck with weakening the weed before winter, then it never wakes up in spring?

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

As long as the plant tissue is green you are good to go. I am in OH and I could easily spray another 2-3 weeks and probably be fine (around middle of Nov or even a little after). Every year is so different that it is hard to say by a calendar.

After several hard frosts, leaves will begin to turn purple and/or black and then that is a little too late.

Right now is the best time of the year to control broadleaf weeds!

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Works slow when its cold. Except the products like Quicksilver or Dismiss, or Octane--they still work fast--but they are mainly for young annual weeds--nearly useless for perennial.
    Maybe the Octane salesman will comment...

4. LawnoftheMonth

LawnoftheMonth LawnSite Senior Member

i treat weeds effectively all year 'round.

5. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

having great trouble with weed control now that a lot of the leaves are falling, I have had to skip over a few accounts because of leaf cover. Now I am just trying to get the fall fert down on my major accounts and skipping over a lot of the smaller ones. Have to keep the bread and butter accounts happy.

6. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I have sprayed weeds until the soil temperature reach's 35 degrees with great success. The weeds won't die this fall but they do not overwinter and the lawn is clean in the spring. I also use amine based products and have no problem. Photosynthesis is very slow but it is still occurring so the plant is taking the herbicide up and trans-locating it, albeit very slowly.

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I was gonna agree....as long as those weeds haven't taken on the 'purple' tint of dormancy, spray em. They won't be back next year:)

8. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Definite drop off in control here in S E mass. We have had a couple of frosts. Im going to spray out the solution remaining in my ride on and carry a backpack for a week or two.

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I have yet to see a better kill using Octane vs no additive. I used it at a rate of 1 oz per acre.

10. Young Bros

Young Bros LawnSite Senior Member

We are still using T-Zone, should be for another week or two. Wish I could spray ester all year long.