Weed control in the rain, ya think it works!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Joshuakwhit, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Joshuakwhit

Joshuakwhit LawnSite Member

I work for one of those big companies cough Scotts.
    Anyways, it pretty much going to flat out rain tomorrow and what doe they say, "It has a sticker spreader in it it will work".

My thoughts are going and finding a quiet cul-de-sac and catch up on some rest.

What do ya'll think. Some one give me an answer, do ya'll work in the rain?

2. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly I've had some of my best results ever in a light steady rain situation, because it will help to open the pores of the weed and take in the weed control and the moisture will also help to move it through the weed by getting the stomates moving if the temps up a little, but a heavy rain sticker or not your'e gonna hurt your'e retention rate, just ask your manager whats more important tomorrows production or the cost of fuel and labor for a service call or two and your'e cancel rate goal.

3. Joshuakwhit

Well I have asked this before but it falls on deaf ears. They want production one way or the other. They can afford to pay gas if the customer calls and complains.

4. turfman07

turfman07 LawnSite Member

i have a friend that used to work for......well.....i wont say any names, but their initials are...truegreen. :)
    he said it would be raining so hard, that water would be running down the street and they would have him put on his rain coat and keep on spraying!

do i spray in the rain? NO. :nono:

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

They're basically just betting that the % of customers that will call and ask for a respray are a lot less than those that won't. Compare the loss of a day's production compared to the small expence of chemical, employee wage, and fuel and they are money ahead to let you spray in the rain.

6. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

I feel for you man, I know all to well how the big companies do business, like I always say learn what you can, then go on youre own and do the oppisite.

7. Joshuakwhit

Yep' I totally agree. I have til Feb. '09. Then I can apply for an Operator's lincese.

I get through this R.d it will be easy sailing until Fall. It will be aerate and seeding time. Man, i don't know which season I despise the most.

8. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Got any sick time? If so, I'd use it. Like turfgeek said, I've gotten some of my best weed control in a light steady rain. However, I don't spray anything if I know it's gonna be piss pouring out of a boot. It'll end up in the sewer drain or ditch....Not good.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No different than when tru-brown is out spraying in 25 mph winds. Yep,..there's nothing like coming around the corner of a building and getting a face full of 2,4-D.:hammerhead: Ah, the day of pulling hose....:rolleyes:

10. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Weather must be easier to predict in TN. Can't tell you how many times I've herd it was going to rain all day and it stops as soon as I get home.

Stickers help but are still "hit or miss" at best. Customer perception is everything

I like the quiet cul-de-sac idea best, wait it out and get paid for it. Pays the same regardless