weed control on athletic fields

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dwmason, Feb 12, 2013.

1. dwmason

dwmason LawnSite Member

What are your program for weed control on a Bermuda athletic field overseeded with rye. Pre and post applications.

2. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

Call a professional.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. dwmason

dwmason LawnSite Member

Did not take long to get a answer from a know it all. I have a license, I have a business. Was just curious what other professionals were using on rye because we don't see much in oklahoma. I hope you are not a reflection of other Georgia applicators

4. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I take it they want to keep the Rye for now??

5. WestGaPineStraw

Nice to know your not the typical coach on here asking the typical questions. No I'm not a reflection of ga applicators, I speak for the industry.

Op, I would use a 2 4 d product with a spreader sticker. Rye will be just fine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. ted putnam

If so, 3-way and your favorite flavor of Pre will work.

If not, Glyphosate and Pre will work.

If you wait too long and the bermuda starts to green up and they want the Rye gone before it is ready to go on its own, you'll be forced to use Revolver.
    That's when things get expensive.

7. WestGaPineStraw

Ted, read the label on Metsulfron about rye.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ted putnam

Yes, I see that. A low rate too. Honestly, I'm never trying to kill Rye. Usually, if I see any at all, it was planted for erosion control and I leave it to die with the heat as the bermuda is starting to take off and spread.

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Correct maintenance for bermuda(high N in summer and a reel cut) normally kills rye. If not many, sulfonylurea herbicides will kill it and other cool season grasses. I know this because it is a common practice here to mix rye with bermuda when seeding big areas. The rye provides a really quick green until the bermuda germinates in 14 days. Personally, I would prefer it not to be done because the rye competes with the bermuda and can shade it out unless it is scalped as soon as the bermuda starts to come up.

Rye does not survive what I do for broadleaf and sedge control. Oddly enough, bermuda does not like what rye will tolerate such as Turflon or Three Way. There are programs using Turflon prior to overseeding rye. Rye is also much more tolerant of the orange herbicides than bermuda is as well.

10. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Just slap it with Celsius in late May with the first fertility.