Weed control with out the Fertilizer?

Discussion in 'The Green Guardian' started by Microbe, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

Just curious if something like this is available to purchase? I really like the weed and feed from what I've read and seen, yet I feel that it can't be used as a spot treatment because of faster growth in those area's compared to the rest of the lawn. Let me know what you think mark... thanks....

2. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

This is something that is currently under development. As with any product it takes time and this one is particularly difficult as it damages too much grass without the plant extract fertilizers which protects the grass in our weed and feed formulas.

3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Microbe,

We're still testing the GG and have had good results. I've been spot treating out of a backpack and have not noticed noticeable growth areas compared to the rest of the turf, especially if you're just spot treating the weeds. I also timed fertilizer treatments pretty close before or after GG application to help alleviate the possible problem you mentioned.

Hope this helps, and Mark, correct me if I'm wrong.

4. oOTurfmanoO

oOTurfmanoO LawnSite Member

Lesco sells 0-0-? products with everyting from herbicide, to insecticide on it. It's less expensive that the 24-5-11 with the product on it. Check it out.

Advantages over granular vs. liqiud spot spray? I can't think of any...

5. NattyLawn

Yes, I know about Lesco, but the GG is a pesticide free/organic option for selective weed control. Lesco isn't carrying it. :confused:

6. oOTurfmanoO

Your best bet may not be to kill the weeds, but to grow them out instead. Establish a dense stand of turf! This will prove to be the best organic weed eradicator on the market.

7. NattyLawn

Thanks for the info, Dan. As much as I push cultural controls and practices to customers, they or their mowers rarely listen or know what they're doing. Long story short, you have weeds.

This forum is about the Green Guardian and other products offered by Farm Crop Extracts. Most of us using this product have no intention of using anything Lesco. Can you contribute anything here besides telling us about Lesco or building a thick stand of turf? Thanks, we know.

8. oOTurfmanoO

:nono: I didn't realize I was in the organic/G.G. forum, sorry!

I am in the process of turning my application business all organic. There are many reasons, including personal, environmental, and marketing that are lending to this move.

I have been doing as much research as I can. I have been using Lesco products and buy 50lb bags that usually cover 12-14.5sq ft. The organic products are a bit more expensive (which is fine by me) and seem to cover less ground.

I am new to the organic idea and have no idea how to build a good program for Zone 7a/b. That's Northeast PA! It should be obvious that I am looking to build a program for crab. prevention. fertility, broadleaf weeds (post?) surface and root feeding pests, starter grade for my fall aerations and overseedings, and a good slow release winterizer/dormant feed.

Any suggestions or relaible links?

9. NattyLawn

Sorry to jump on you. I won't discuss other products in this forum besides the GG, so I'll send you a PM.

10. livingsoils

livingsoils LawnSite Member

I would like to try it as a spot spray weed control using a backpack. Can we get small quanities? I would like to run my own tests before a buy a boat load of it.

Natty, how are your tests plots doing?:confused:
    mike:dancing: