Weed control with Roundup

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by reliablelawn, Aug 12, 2012.

1. reliablelawn

reliablelawn LawnSite Member

How should one apply roundup when spraying weeds in a flower bed? Do you targer the soil where the root is going into the ground or spray the leaves? Both? Do you normally do one spray per weed or a few to get it soaked? Any advice would be much appreciated.

BROWNS LAWN CARE LawnSite Senior Member

all i've ever done is spot spray the leaves, not really soaking them. roundup will kill a lot of stuff that way.

be careful the over spray will kill too...

maybe some others have a better method, but this has always worked for me.
  3. Larry Overcash

Larry Overcash LawnSite Member

X2 This is exactly the method I use. I don't see any other way to do it and not get it on plants. If there is a better way, I certainly would love to hear about it myself.
  4. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

If you don't know the answer, I have a question. Are you even licensed for pesticide application? How could anyone be licensed and not know this?
  5. Larry Overcash

Larry Overcash LawnSite Member

Can't speak for anyone else, I come here to learn from professionals. It seems like every time someone has an honest question, the first answer is often answered with a question. Just answer what is asked and move on or don't say anything. Not everyone here has chemical license and you can buy Round-up anywhere.
  6. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Round up is a non-selective systemic herbicide.

Non-selective means it kill everything. Not really, to be honest, but it kill enough that you have be VERY careful with overspray and winddrift.

Systemic means it works from the leaves down to the root. It has no soil activity, and only works when applied to foliage.

And no, I don't have my license. I gained all my knowledge reading labels when I worked at a feed/co-op store through high school and college.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

It doesn't matter that you can buy it everywhere. By law you must have a pesticide license to use in on anyones property but your own.
    You can tell from the question that he doesn't have a clue so he should not be using it on someone else's property. Chances are if he is not licensed then he is not insured for pesticide use either. What is he going to do when he applies it the wrong way and kills 10k in landscaping?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Rules are Rules, and Laws are Laws. You just can't pick and choose which laws you want to break just because you don't agree with them.

9. Big Bad Bob

from zone 5

All I want to know is, what makes some of these people so special that they apply chemicals without a license or insurance and the rest of us have to be licensed and insured? If you can't be bothered with license rules, you shouldn't be in the business.
  10. Big Bad Bob

from zone 5

I guess you think that has anything to do with this thread.
    EVERYBODY has to follow the law and to not do so, you are scamming your customers as well as breaking the law. You want to be considered a professional but you are unwilling to take the steps it takes to be a professional. That's just not fair to your customers or the rest of us who follow the rules.