weed control?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Mr. Sparrow, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Mr. Sparrow

Mr. Sparrow LawnSite Member
    from Ct

i'm curious what kind of mulch you all use that is best for keeping weeds away?
    does anyone use pre-emergents after spring mulching? what works best?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The best kind??? I would say anything that is spread atleast 3-4 inches deep. Logically, darker colored mulches would work a bit better, but there is no evidence of real difference. As far as pre-emergents are concerned, yes, they make a huge difference. Tupersan is one to be considered. We use a product known as Snapshot that is sold commercially, but you can get the same thing in a lesser concentrate in a store bought product called Preen.

3. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

What Runner said

4. Mr. Sparrow

Mr. Sparrow LawnSite Member
    from Ct

hmm, i've used preen and had no luck. i guess it only last 30 days or so.
    this year i tried snapshot and treflan and the scotts version (cant remeber the name), but i didnt really notice a difference. i thin k the mulch i used was junk

5. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm curious...
    1) Are you licensed to apply pesticides?

6. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Sparrow, By the way, R U Licensed for apps?????????????????????????

7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I used a 4" layer of pecan shells in my planters at home when I first built them. They lasted about 8 years before decomposing and rarely had a weed. Went back to get some more and was told that they weren't being sold to the general public any longer. They were being shipped to a bio-mass place for generation of electricity. Too bad.