Weed Control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by buckrufr, Jul 9, 2008.

1. buckrufr

buckrufr LawnSite Member

Just read the thread about knowing your cost. I agree, so forgive me.

A friend asked me to spray his lot for $100. What would you have charged?

3027 square feet of weeds and grass
    1.5 hours labor

materials:
    9 oz. glyphosate
    1 oz. broadleaf herbicide
    3 teasp. signal blue

Thanks.

2. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Should take 5 - 10 minutes to spray that size lot. 20 bucks.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

First of all, why are we using glyphosate and broadleaf weed control? Second, there is no way that we can compare our Michigan prices wit those out in Oregon. Third, doing it for 20 bucks is a good way to go broke - friend or not. Also, 1.5 hours labor???? What are you spraying it with, a squirt gun?

4. buckrufr

buckrufr LawnSite Member

Thank you for your input. I was more worried about working too cheap, but now I see I am too slow. Ha!

I used a 2 gallon Shindaiwa SP210 hand pump sprayer I carry w/shoulder strap or by the handle. Carried water in truck and mixed 4.5 gallons.

Customer set price and wanted a thorough job to avoid mowing in future. I charge more for spraying due to the risk to myself and screw ups - it's in dense residential area - and also my knowledge - avoid sensitive grapes, cedars, spray drift, etc.

How do you do it in 20 minutes?

5. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

You're not making any money @ $20.00 I get $30 just to spray cracks in driveways. chenicals aren't cheap IMHO.

6. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I charge $30.00 to $40.00. I use a hose end sprayer made by Ortho. Just add chemical according to manufacturer's directions and it mixes automatically. Takes me maybe 15-30 minutes for that size yard. Just walk back and forth and spray. Watch for drift so you don't hit plants. I get up close around shrubs, etc. It takes me longer to mess around with the hose than to spray.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing, I can't do what they're asking of me here and they know that.
    And if they don't they will lol

8. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

You're not making any money @ $20.00 I get $30 just to spray cracks in driveways. chemicals aren't cheap IMHO.

9. buckrufr

buckrufr LawnSite Member

"First of all, why are we using glyphosate and broadleaf weed control?"

I spike the glyphosate with a little broad leaf herbicide to make it a little more potent as some of the weeds are mature. I don't have access to a water hydrant at this lot. Possibly a back sprayer would be faster. Again thanks for the input.

10. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

3k should need 3 gals. I would get $150.00 here.