1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Weed Control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Expert Lawns, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

This year I will be adding weed control services. I will be spraying in cracks in the pavement and in mulched areas. What are the best brands to use? I know I'm not licensed and may get grief for this, but it is another service that I am able to perform for my customers, and would very much like to. I know about roundup, but there must be some other choices. I need something that will be safe in mulched areas, due to plants and flowers. Thanks
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Get a license and I'll tell you anything you want to know.
  3. Expert Lawns

like i didn't see that coming. anyone willing to help, i would appreciate it. i know the people with the licenses want all the work. i 'm jus talking about a few weeds in the driveways and flowerbeds. i'm not stealing your business
  4. Expert Lawns

and i'll be lucky if anyone even wants this service. just need to know incase. this is lawnsite, it is for learning.
  5. Expert Lawns

if i had my license, i wouldn't be asking this question grassmechanic. c'mon, use your thinker
  6. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

Expertlawns, It would be very easy to classify an answer like grassmechanics as unhelpful and snotty, but in reality he is doing you a big favor. It would be unethical and detrimental to the industry as a whole for us to give you aid in breaking the law. Why should you skirt all the requirements and still make the same money as those of us who keep records and go through all the hassles involved? You are correct, this is a forum for learning and the lesson you can take is that by studying and gettting properly licensed you will learn many of the answers to your questions. You will also find plenty of help from people on this forum who are always willing to help out another legitimate operator.
  7. Expert Lawns

turfsurfer - i know exactly what you are saying. i've seen it many times on here.....people trying to perform services they either cannot do, (legally or due to lack of skill). it's just that last year quite a few of my accounts asked me about the weeds in their flowerbeds and driveways. i do have ethics, and i straight up tell them that i am not licenses. they then ask if they go buy some roundup if i will spray it for them and they will pay me for it. this is where my moral dilema comes into play. A) i want to please my customer B) i am not licensed.
    so i was basically looking for some help without getting ignorant posts like grassmechanics. maybe i didn't explain things enough. i'm sitting in class and couldn't give the post my undivided attention.
  8. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmmmm this post or Grassmechanics post, and you are calling him ignorant. :dizzy:

If you knew you would get this type of response why did you ask here?

I don't believe people are refusing to give you the information because they want the business that you have, they are trying to protect the industry as a whole.

If your customers are going to buy the chemicals, why don't you just read the label yourself.
  9. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Grassmechanic's reply was not ignorant. Your question was. Take a class and get certified. Not that hard to do. If you were spraying in my area w/o a license I would be the first to turn you in.

Sorry if my post seems a little harsh. I have a real pet peeve about contractors trying to get around the rules and regs. that the rest of us abide by.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Here, it's a little different. You can't just get certified and spray or apply pesticides. You can work for someone else who is a licensed business, but not for yourself. The certified applicator or tech must work for a licensed business(es) and aquire no less than two years field experience before one is able to apply for a license. Of course, then we're entering the whole insurance thing that must be completd before a license is granted. The strict guidelines are actually a good thing, though.