Weed eaters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ribit, Jul 28, 2005.

1. ribit

ribit LawnSite Member

Any of you guys use the Honda weed eaters? I am thinking of getting one because they are suppose to be more quiet than a 2 stroke. Thanks

2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Try a Stihl string trimmer.

3. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

It is quiet, but also heavy. If you use it alot then get something light. Also it depends on what you are cutting!

1 more thing Weadeater is a brand name, trimmer is what they are called.

4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Before I get slammed on because I told you light weight, I will tell you why.

You have to decide how long you use your trimmer at any given point, what you are cutting down, etc. I had one community that was 147 homes, carring around a 12-13lb. trimmer gets to you.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with shuter, try the stihl. Have had it for awhile, never gives me trouble. Also, thank you saw man for finally being the first person that I know of to correct someone when they call a trimmer a weedeater or weedwhacker, it annoys the he** out of me. Thanks. Oh, good luck with the Stihl!

6. ribit

ribit LawnSite Member

Thanks for your replies. I usually call it a trimmer but I thought I would get more replies if I called it a weed eater. Thanks again.

7. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Honda edger hanging on the wall in the shop that hasn't seen much field time. I think it's a GX31 or something like that. It is quieter than a 2 stroke but re-read my opening sentence. ;)

8. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Weed Eater is actually a brand name, like Stihl, Echo, or Redmax.

9. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

I use both the Honda Trimmer and the Honda Edger.

The trimmer is smooth, quiet and powerful, but heavy. The edger weighs a ton, but does a first rate job. Very powerful.

10. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

A lot of makers have 4 cycle engines but the 2 cycles to me are a lot better.