Weed eaters

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawn leprechaun, Sep 12, 2006.

1. lawn leprechaun

lawn leprechaun LawnSite Member

Hey guys (and gals) new to the site and to the biz. My weed eater bit the dust a couple weeks ago, and I am looking to purchase a new one, but with so many brands I am a little hesitant. I've been using my dad's echo and I really like it. I need some help from you lawn pros. What brand is best, what brand do I stay away from. Thanks for the help!

2. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

how much use will it get? daily? if daily get a commercial unit. im happy with stihl. never used any other brand. i hear good things about echo.

3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

If you are using commercial, then the best thing is to buy from a good dealer in your area so that you can get service shoudl something happen to it. I use Stihl as well and I really like all my Stihl Products. When I bouhg my FS90 string trimmer, the carburator messed up the first night that I used it. It was fixed under warranty and I do not have anymore problems out of it.

Other good brands from what others are saying are Kawasaki and RedMax. Echo is good if is is real comemrcial grade, not the Echo that they sell at Home Depot. Nothing you buy at Home Depot and Lowes really compares to the true commercial products at dealers. I think the manufactures use slightly less quality parts and procedures to make them a little cheaper so that Home Depot can sell them to Homeowners. But they do not last like the above mentioned brands.

4. KB Klippers

KB Klippers LawnSite Member

I have a redmax bcz2600 and love it. It is a bit bigger, but never lacks power. It is also a solid shaft which cuts down on vibration. You can take the trigger and bend it in any direction...it won't break. Great trimmer. They also make a 2400 that is solid shaft too...just not a brush cutting capacity trimmer. I wanted the larger model because sometimes I get a call where thinks haven't been kept up very good. The bid is higher and my trimming time stays relatively the same. Gotta love that!

KB

5. KB Klippers

KB Klippers LawnSite Member

"thinks"...hehe

6. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Redmax bcz2600 is the way to go!

7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo, Sthil,Redmax, Shindaiwa are all very good brands of handheld equipment. Echo and Stihl both have an extensive dealer and parts network, with dealers on every corner in most areas of the USA.

We use all Sthil, both the FS110 and FS100 . Both have that good old fashioned low down grunt power, and are fairly fuel efficient after the brake in period.The FS110 is heavier then the FS100, but excepts attachments. For everyday trimming, the FS100 is a light well balanced trimmer with the same power as the FS110.

8. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC LawnSite Member

I really like Echos, But I recently bought a New Dolmar 260c and it is awesome. I also order a second one.
    A few days ago I picked up a slightly used stihl fs52 at a yardsale for 12.99 it was missing the string spool.
    There are a lot of good machines to choose from you just have to decide which you like best and who's going to do your service.

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Well put, I agree with 6'7

10. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Shndawia all the way...No questions asked