1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Weed Eating a Ditch 600 X 36

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by outsidepride, Apr 21, 2009.

1. outsidepride

outsidepride LawnSite Member

Could someone tell me how long it would take to weed eat a ditch 600 ft X 36 ft wide it slopes down about 5ft to the bottom but gradual I know there are lots of variables but the grass would be about 8 inches high each time. I need to get an estimate on time as I have never done ditches before. Thanks In Advance.
  2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

thats a big ditch. Cant push mow it?
  3. outsidepride

No its too bumpy to mow so it has to be done by weed eater
  4. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Its a trimmer not a weed eater. That size ditch with 1 trimmer would take most if not all day.
  5. IdealLawnCare

IdealLawnCare LawnSite Member

how about if you rent a rough terrain brush cutter
  6. Genlandscape

Genlandscape LawnSite Member

I would have to agree with Ideal, a flail mower or brush cutter would probably cut your time and labor in half or better. One line trimmer would take you a good long while!! If your measurements are correct that is a half acre. 21,600 sq. ft. I would definitly consider an alternative to a line trimmer.
  7. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

Can you do a test on about 20 ft of the ditch? Then you can do the math. I've done this before on a quarter mile long ditch I had to weedeat. Came out right on the money.
  8. outsidepride

I think i will try the small area first with line trimmer and rough mower, thanks for the input
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

My back hurts just thinking about this :p

I tell you thou, this might be a good time for putting some bicycle handles on the trimmer and then using the back & shoulder strap,
    now the unfortunate part is the conversion is no little 5-minute thing so you almost really need a second trimmer.
  10. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure you bid that one right..... Or else you'll be kickin yourself everytime you do it.