weed-eating the curb & driveway

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by J & M Lawn Care, Jul 5, 2007.

1. J & M Lawn Care

J & M Lawn Care LawnSite Member

i have noticed alot of lawn care operaters weed-eating the curb and drive way instead of edging it, y is that. Is there a different look from the weed-eater or what. Just Wondering

2. Novaowner

Novaowner LawnSite Member

I weed eat the curbs and driveway cause I haven't gotten an edger yet. If I take my time to trim the first time I mow a customers yard, I can go pretty quick with just the weedeater to trim it up subsuquent times. I don't think yards need edged every single time. Some on this website do though every time, I think it's just preference. I do trim with a weed eater every time though.

3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I use a trimmer to edge driveways and walkways. I am faster with a trimmer than with an edger and my edges are as close to perfect as an edger would make. It also allows me to angle the edge if a client requests I angle he edges any.

4. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont have an edger either. Ive noticed though that my trimmer with .105 string on it, actually does the edging. I cut it in the dirt if its bad, then trim it weeks after...

5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

A lot of times, I will use an edger then go back over it with a trimmer to make it look neater. When doing this, I am not edging with the trimmer, just trimming the grass like you normally would. I think it makes it look nicer. I don't do it all the time because it does take more time.

6. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

we trim along all drives and curbs everytime regardless if its been edged or not the mower seems to leave straglers along the edges. It just makes it look a little cleaner.

7. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I don't stick edge everytime, I keep it clean and straight with a timmer...I've seen a lot of lawns backed 3-6inches off the driveway, walks, and street due to people stick edging it everytime. They keep cutting back and in my eyes it looks horrible

8. bluflame1914

bluflame1914 LawnSite Member

my uncle always uses a weedeater. he runs through it quicker than an edger. it stands the grass up nice though.

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

you only need to edge once a season, usually in spring and then use a trimmer to maintain the edge for the rest of the season.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Save your money an edger is just another piece of hardware that takes up room on the trailer....get a Echo260T trimmer with .100 cord for the really difficult overgrowth.