Weed fabric

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by tjlco, Dec 11, 2011.

1. tjlco

tjlco LawnSite Senior Member

Curious what eveyone uses for weed fabric? I bought a roll at the place I buy rock and I felt like it was crap. Wound up returning it and getting stuff from Home Depot. I liked it so been getting it there ever sice..but I can't help but think, there is something even better and/or cheaper...

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

For the little bit I use it, I like Dewitt Pro5. Not cheap, but is about is as good as it gets.

3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Expensive weed fabric is cheap insurance. The high grade stuff will hold back nutsedge and other perennial weeds.

4. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

We use septic filter cloth.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Dewitt Pro5; worth the money.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you are laying down rock, weed fabric is a waste of money and not good for your soil.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Dependable

Is That White Septic Filter Cloth??? I have never used it but considered as ground Cloth for my THEN Nursery. The Sepic Filter Cloth is quality Material. Only White was a deal breaker. Even in Florida Heat we want black Ground Cover cloth to absorb as much heat as possible. Tropical Plants like warm root zones.

Kiril

Agree It should be called BARRIER CLOTH not Weed Fabric. News Paper makes a reasonable Weed mat under Wood Mulch that last a short time. It does adds to the quality of the soil. I never felt it was worth installing but have watched other do it.

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

An appropriate cloth would be a high quality geotextile, although I don't recommend them for anything other than rock. Over time they become worthless (high quality or not), and regardless of allowing water/gases through, they are not good for the soil.

I have dealt with newspaper mulch, don't much care for it. Too labor intensive and I don't care for how it impacts water distribution. This is especially the case when we are talking new plantings, which is when you are typically using the stuff anyway.

An appropriate organic mulch at an appropriate depth will keep the vast majority of weeds at bay.

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Dewitt pro 5 or equivalent here

10. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

It's always just a matter of time before airborne particles filter down to the membrane and give seed a hold. Rocks, plants; makes no difference.

If you are going to put down a membrane, may as well make it a good one. Don't know about newspapers though, first I heard of it.