Weed fabric

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by tjlco, Dec 11, 2011.

1. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Snapshot and round up and pull a few here and there.

2. A Leaf Above

A Leaf Above LawnSite Member

Never use the stuff either ...I hate when i dont know its there and while im edging the bed that crap wraps all around the blade ..After a while the weeds make there way through it anyway so why bother ...roundup and prem with good bit of mulch and your good to go ...

3. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

I know what you mean; we always put edging around the bed when we use membrane; usually the customer wants it.

Speaking of stuff wrapping around gear,how about when a friggin dog chain left in the grass wraps around the spindles?

4. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Ric
    It is black. Comes in either 3ft or 6ft width. Its good inexpensive and durable. We use it for stone beds. Otherwise we wont use it for mulch beds.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. tjlco

tjlco LawnSite Senior Member

I am gettiing ready to do about 2k square feet of rubber mulch in my own yard. It'll be the certifed play mulch crap...(the wife wants that) and from what I read snapshot & round up is the way to go. Thats what we do when we do regular mulch anyway, rock I always use some kind of fabric otherwise it seems to disappear to China I guess lol

6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Seriously reconsider the rubber mulch. I had a customer put it in 4 years ago. I wouldn't do it, so he bought it and hired another guy to do it. I hate it. Here are some of the problems.

He spent over $3000 and didn't even make it around the back of the house. It didn't go as far as he thought it would.

It stunk for well over a year. I wouldn't let kids play in this stuff.

It turned a kind of nasty looking color in the sun.

Even if you put a border to contain it, it escapes. Oh what fun it is to hit it with the mower. Or even better, and edger.

Despite the claim that it doesn't float, it seems to float worse than anything else I have ever seen.

If you don't use a fabric, have fun replacing plants. Nothing like the shovel bouncing off this crap.

I still hate it, and the guy that put down over $3000 dollars worth of hates it even more. At this point, most of it is covered by regular old dyed cypress.

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I hate fabric and cut out pull up as much as I can when I'm mulching without making a project of it. It's always showing it's ugly head anyway. I hate when someone installs a bed and poorly grades it and then puts fabric on top making it impossible to grade/mulch it properly without ripping it all up. Under stone, sure, under mulch....skip it.