Weed & Feed

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Shastanova, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Shastanova

Shastanova LawnSite Member

I just bought a business Sept 2005 and with the business came 55 accounts. Im trying to mow all the yards and doing everything else in between. My customers want me to fertilize their lawns with weed and feed, but i was wondering, Do i need to fertilize by a certain time or can you fertilize anytime of the year? I live in Southwest Florida right above Ft. Myers. And 90% of my lawns are St. Augustine grass.

2. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

Are you licensed to apply pesticide and fertilizer?

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

if you took the classes to get your applicators license, then you would have learned the answers...

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You can apply weed and feed as follows:
    - Anytime weeds are growing, regardless of grass growth BUT:
    - Either 30 days BEFORE *OR* 30 days AFTER seeding.
    The last part is VERY important because weed killer of ANY kind interferes with seed germination, meaning if the yard HAS been seeded or IS going to GET seeded within 30 days of weed killer application, then the application of weed killer will ruin the seed's ability to sprout.

For Florida, I believe the window is still open and will likely remain open into December but in this case, the sooner, the better eh?

Far as it hurting the lawn, read and follow the directions on the label, also read the warnings (i think something to do with pets in the yard where this has been applied or in case you eat some and what to do) and good luck.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Here is the correct answer to the question

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, listen to the pros talk, they ALL started like this, see:
    They had everything they needed right off the first day and never ever made a mistake, they had licenses for EVERYTHING and paid EVERY tax on the book and of course they had insurance to cover ANYTHING AND had employees ALL trained out and ALL their equipment with 50 trucks and trailers all lined up and shined (they waxed it first) looking like a military parade headed out right on their first day with bugle calls and fanfare and trumpets and all, they even had 50 or 100 million dollars in the bank just for spare cash AND they knew everything, they even went to college for 20 years and got DBASTARD degrees (which is a degree in EVERYTHING) LOL !

oh... then you read on the other forums, crying how they lost a trailer with all their equipment got UNHOOKED in a 55mph zone and demolished a slew of traffic in its wake, and could we have some help? Then they wonder why they get none.

man you guys really get on my nerves with how you treat the new guy... If you can't help then DON'T and no your answers are no help, they are smart, wiseguy remarks is what they are... No wonder I treat other Lco's with a contempt based on pure resentment, they ALL think they know everything and someone comes along with a simple question and they automatically treat them like dirt and act like they're better than you.

I wouldn't sweat it, but it is the reason why I NEVER wave, look, greet or even THINK about another Lco when I see them out there in the real world.

7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would suggest getting licensed,friends have told me Florida enforces the pesticide laws. With that license will come higher liability insurance.

8. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

Topsites, you know that he should get licensed before he makes one app. One app could prevent him from having the capital to start his business if he was fined (depending on his financial means and state laws). I don't even have a license. I am studying right now and will be getting the license at the next testing period (feb 2006). But I know enough to know I need one (license) first. Perhaps the guys should have expounded a bit more. But to jump right in and answer his questions knowing full well he isn't qualified to dispense chemicals is irresponsible. Just an unlicensed person's two cents. :blush:

9. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

It’s a little bit different with this license, without it you’re talking big penalties and fines here in my state. You might never get caught, he in this state they are not Johnny on the spot looking for unlicensed applicators...But it is not worth it, what if have an accident with a tank full of herbicide in the back of a truck or van, and it pours all over the road?

It is totally irresponsible and immoral to advise somebody to put down the first herbicide app, without proper license and insurance.

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Topsite,
    Are your finger connected in anyway with your brain ? Post after post you ramble on about nothing that has to with what is being talked about or you show how little you do know. #1 your answer about the subject is 1/2 azz the only good info you posted on the subject was
    and now with your rambling you think its wrong to tell someone that needed to ask a most basic question on fert and a question that if he was licensed he would have some idea of the answer with a remark about
    So using your vast reservoir of knowledge you think its good advise to give an unlicensed person some 1/2 azz answer on the proper way to apply herbicides :dizzy: :dizzy: I'd put you on ignore but then EVERY thread would have huge areas of white space where your ramblings were. :realmad: