"Weed Free Vegetable Garden"

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Daner, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you have planted a Veggie garden...and find the weeds take right over as the summer rolls on??

I have heard of ways to keep the weeds at bay...but never really had any luck.

Tell me what you have done...Or do with you veggie garden to keep the weeds away...I have a Idea and I will share It with you ,after I hear your thoughts.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I have in the past laid a thin layer of fresh grass clippings (non-fertilized clippings) on the ground. esepcially around the tomato plants too, always seemed to me to help keep the moisture in around the tomatoes. the grass clippings around the garden, helped kept the weeds at a minimum.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'll tell you...when I first saw the newspaper laid down, and the mulch over top idea, I thought these people were nuts, but over the years, I have learned that it is not only common, but it works well.

4. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

we did this for the first time this year and it was amazing..no weeds what so ever, it was so nice....we prepared the garden as normal (roto-tilled, spread manure, raked the dirt smooth, etc...) then before we planted we bought a big roll of that black weed barrier cloth from Sams club. I covered the entire garden with it (about 30'x30'). Put sod staples in it to hold it down. Then where we wanted to plant things all i did was cut an X with my razor knife and plant the plant. Where I planted corn and other plants from seeds i just put a slice in the fabric and the plants grew right up through the fabric.

I have done grass clippings in the past and it works for a week or two, but then your feet get green walking in there...the best part of the fabric thing is you can go out right before dinner, walk through the garden, and go back in the house without worrying about tracking mud everywhere

5. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

I use discarded carpeting, nothing works better and it seems to reduce the bugs as well!

6. Daner

You all have some good Ideas....keep them coming...I too have used old hay for mulch around the tomatoes plants ,peppers etc.
    I will share my Idea with ya all tomorrow:weightlifter:

7. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a hoe.

8. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I've used newspaper & mulch. A very think application of mulch seemed to make any weeds pull easier.

9. Daner

Ok Heres what I was thinking of doing.....
    With Carpet like one member uses.......Lay the roll indoor /out door carpet out ........then drill holes with your hole saw ...say, a 2" hole...every 2' or 3 ' and plant your vegies in the hole:) .......yeee haaaaa no weeds...to clean up the garden ....just use your leaf blower.
    there yaa go...ya all owe me a case of beer.:waving:
    Daner

10. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

The newspapers usually work alright and carpet sounds like it might work. There is a product out there called Preen that prevents weeds. It doesn't kill them, just prevents them. They do have a Veggie garden product and a groundcover product in addition to the standard. It's a granuale that you just spread. It may get expensive, I don't know. I never used it, I just sold it for a few years. Or corn glutten meal is supposed to prevent seeds from germinating.
    However, the carpet and newspapers is free.

Just my two cents.