Weed, fungus, bug advice!

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by South Florida Lawns, Jun 12, 2013.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I'd like to learn more about the above but don't have time for classes, I work 7 days a week. I know a little bit from years of being a lawn boy, but I'd like to expand my knowledge. Any websites or books to recommend?

I'm more curious than anything.
  2. Uf has a good weed id book that runs like 14 or so...
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Its on Amazon right?
  4. Probably..i think i bought mine from ifas
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

HOA had aphids on Crape Myrtles last August...I referred an applicator to spray the aphids, two treatments--

the crapes bloomed and looked great--fast foreword to the present--

I visited site and noticed aphids on the crapes a few days ago..I sent a note to the property manager and asked if they wanted to get the aphids treated again...

He says..."don't we have a warranty from the treatments last year?"

dormant oil refused in winter, systemic refused in spring...Warranty?
    I asked him if he has a bug guy spray his house every 6 months or so...
    waiting for a response-

warranty 7 months later???
  6. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

I agree this is a good book. Taking a hour or two to attend local extension classes can be very informative. When all else fails look at U of F websites, if you do this enough you will start to remember a lot of the stuff you see.
  7. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

that's something that needs to be done every year.. like me calling you and telling you 2 weeks after you cut my grass damn you don't warranty my cut grass from growing.. you might want to watch this guy he could be a problem.. or he could be just joking with you...
  8. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

The Ortho Problem Solver book is best I believe. 1,100+ pages with colored pic of disease, bugs, fungus etc. When I bought mine in 1994, it cost me $250. Now its around $200 depending who you buy it from.

"The most up-to-date solutions, from non-chemical to recommended chemical controls, for more than 3000 plant problems and North American home pests."