Weed / Grass ID ?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bdoss123, Sep 1, 2006.

1. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

Can anyone shed some light on what this is? Looks like a wide bladed fescue (K-31?), but I'm no pro.

grasspic1.jpg

grasspic2.jpg

2. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like young crabgrass to me.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It's crabgrass.

4. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

Great... if I'm going to aerate/slice-seed should I just hit it with roundup? This is at my house, so I can take whatever means are necessary.

- BD

5. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

yes, round up should work fine.:)

6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats that wide bladed fescue like oats kinda thing....theres a nickname for it....can't think....oh yeah here it is.....

Crabgrass.

7. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick help. Finally it's dry enough to get some work done.

bd

8. socty

socty LawnSite Member

After you use the Roundup, make sure you wait long enough to let the herbicide work its way through the ground...may take a week after the crabgrass dies, maye even longer...check the label or your dealer.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Huh??? Glyphosate (Roundup) deactivates as soon as it hits the soil. Spray it and you can work it up and re-seed a day or two later. If you want to wait a week until all the grass turns brown, than you can. It is no more dead after week than it is after two days, though. It is just turned brown. The grass can be re-seeded even before the sprayed grass turns completely brow. There ARE two advantages to waiting for all the vegetation to dry up, though... One, is that it is easier to work up if you are using a dethatcher or something. the second, and probably the most important, is that by waiting, you can tell if you missed anything, that may need to be re-sprayed. I hope this helps. Also, if you happen to respray some Roundup a few days AFTER you reseed, you will certainly be helping, too. The glyphosate will kill any late germinating weeds that may have just popped up, and it will help the grass seed germinate faster. Don't re-spray any later than 1 week after you put the grass seed down, though.

10. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

My wife, who is a computer programmer, correctly identified this as crabgrass. I am not putting you down, but you my want to research a little bit more about weed i.d. and prevention measures.