Weed/grass in my bermuda

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by RokleM, Jul 1, 2012.

1. RokleM

RokleM LawnSite Member

New to SC and bermuda, but have read and taken quite a bit of advice here. Sand to get it to spread into areas it was thin, second to lowest setting on my mower (scalp quite a number of areas if I don't), installed a sprinkler system and have it running a bit right now (108 today and most bermuda lawns around me are browning yet ours is green).

I've knocked out many of the issues at our new (10 year old) house, killed most of the weeds, etc. I do however have a number of areas where I have a "weed" (tall fescue maybe) popping up. I've seen you can round-up it during winter, but obviously not possible now. I've also seen reports of usage for "image" that will kill fescue in bermuda, but I see a number of types and am not sure which one is for this use.

Looking for a positive ID and solution:

IMG_0240.JPG

2. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

With the pronounced midrib on that grassy weed that i can barely see in your picture, i would say that is nutsedge, you need to post close-up's for a better i.d. If that is a sedge then image on bermuda is a good product to use. You have irrigated bermuda, you have an ideal situation for weed control.

3. RokleM

RokleM LawnSite Member

Searching for nutsedge pictures, I think you're right!

I will see if they stock it local. Assume directions are adequate and to be followed?

4. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

The direction's are adequate and need to be followed to the letter for the best result's. I would spray at the high rate. Don't spray until you have had a decent rainfall. You will get some yellowing on the bermuda. It is normal and will go away by itself. I've got to ask how you spray ? It might be worth it to have someone with a dedicated motorized sprayer do this for you just to get a even application.

The image label - http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld3SG003.pdf

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Nuts edge for sure.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Nut grass but I never would spray anything on grass at those high temperatures. It needs to be hot to get nut grass but image will turn the bermuda and the nut grass is so thick yoiu would have to do significant spray. Wait until it gets back to 90.

7. cgaengineer

I agree, wait until temps creep down and as long as you can irrigate you should be fine. You can also brush them with roundup.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Certainty or Sedgehammer are safer in hot weather. I have always appreciated how Image forms a residual in the soil. But that is lost if it is not evenly applied to the whole lawn. However, they are best applied like how agrostis suggests. It is hard to apply evenly to areas over 500 sq ft with manual equipment.

9. RokleM

RokleM LawnSite Member

Luckily it's just a 5-15' patch where it is coming up right now.

10. cgaengineer

If you can irrigate within 24 hours these temps you should be fine but I'd advise a homeowner to wait...beside you won't get sedgehammer today anyway.
    Posted via Mobile Device