Weed Guard.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by drsogr, Feb 5, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I know, I know most of your landscapers out here don't like to use weed guard. But I need to know a good quality weed guard to use as underlayment under a pond liner. Who makes a good quality weed guard?

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I would think your best product for that would be DeWitt Weed fabric. Since it's actually like a fabric and soft plus pretty thick it should give the best protection for a liner.

I'd say it's the best for under rock too... I would also use it under mulch, though it dosn't stop weeds in mulch well, but nothing does!

3. drsogr

Thanks Jason. I have never bought the Dewitt fabric, I have found it to be pretty high price....but that is probably why it is the best!

4. Jason Rose

It's the only one that the big landscapers use here in hutch (bornholdt's, prarie hills, precision, lackeys, etc...) So that has to say something for it!

5. drsogr

Where do you get yours at Jason? I have seen it at John Deere but its really expensive. Maybe thats just how expensive it is?

6. Jason Rose

Iv'e just bought mine from Bornholdt's in the past. It's been several years now... I'm too cheap to buy it for around my own place! But I will regret that in 10 years I'm sure...

You could check places like Hummerts catalog. I'm not sure what shipping would be, or if you ordered over a certian $$ it may be free. I'm pretty sure gardenwise sells it too (wholesale).

http://www.hummert.com/catalog.asp?P=6261

http://www.hummert.com/catalog.asp

7. drsogr

Yeah I need to stop by gardenwise sometime. I still haven't made it in there!

8. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

You should not use weed barrier under a pond liner. It's not thick enough to adaquately protect the liner. Your supplier for the liner should have liner underlayment which is like a thick felt. It costs more than weed barrier but you don't want to pinch pennies in this area.

9. drsogr

I am using weed guard because the guy who sold me the liner told me that is what he uses on all of his installs. They do a lot of installs each year. We are not talking the walmart weed guard we are talking the thick stuff. I have seen the underlayment for the pond liner before.