weed i.d.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by scottt, Apr 11, 2004.

1. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

I need a little help identifying this weed. I have looked through numerous books and websites and can't find it. I live in zone 6 and see this weed only in shady areas where there is fescue, especially bare lawns. It is a much lighter green than fescue and grows at a much quicker rate. It is a grassy weed that is very flat. What I mean is it is not rolled, it is folded. It is sometimes in clumps, and sometimes not. I know it is hard to id without a picture, but any help would be appreciated. Let me know if you need any more info. Thank you
  2. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi scottt,
    I am in zone 6 in n.j. and we have a weed like the one you discribe called Nimblewill. It can only be killed with a non selective herbicide like roundup. Then the areas need to be reseeded and if it is growing at perimiter of property it needs to be sprayed monthly and kept back 10 feet from the lawn area. It is a perennial weed and is a strong creeper. If it shows up in the lawn in small patches it is from birds that have eaten those seeds from nearby plants......spot spray these areas with roundup before they spread. Can you post a picture of the weed you want diagnosed? You should bring a sample of the weed in question to your local cooperative extension agent for a positive I.D.

Pete D.
  3. scottt

Thanks for the help, but it's not nimblewill. I can see how my description would lead to that idea. I have a little more info now. The sheaths are very compressed and it is folded in the bud. No auricles and a membranous ligule with a narrow divided collar. I cannot see any seedheads. Maybe this will help a little.
  4. Aleman

Aleman LawnSite Member

How about Orchard Grass?
  5. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

how about creeping bentgrass?
  6. scottt

Thank you for the replies. It looks like orchard grass. After a little searching, it looks like non selective is the only way to go. If anyone knows of a selective that will work I would love to hear about it. Thanks again.
  7. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Orchardgrass. Nope no selective. Roundup or glyphosate knockoff only.
  8. lars

lars LawnSite Member

I've used a weed wick made especially for orchardgrass. It has height-adjustable end pieces and a two foot wide wick in the middle. It works because the orchardgrass grows fast. Adjust the wick so it brushes against the orchardgrass but not the fesuce. And there you go, dead grass!
  9. longslawn

longslawn LawnSite Member

Where did you get the wick. I need one bad.
  10. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

It's not bermuda is it? Just a thought.