Weed ID and few other questions

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kirk1701, Mar 18, 2010.

1. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Hey guys.
    Have a few questions first of being a weed I see every spring about this time, usually a pain to get rid of too and I think its chickweed but want to be sure?
    http://www.msuturfweeds.net/details/_/common_chickweed_26

Second, whats better to use to get rid of it with? I have 2,4-D but I'm wondering if some MSMA would work better?

Third, this might just be my paranoia so....
    My lawn is turning green, however its turning in a way that reminds me of a football field light green/dark green which is kinda looking like its been stripped from overlapping?? Now I did do a early February fertilizer app with Scotts turf builder for an early green up and applied at recomended rate and I probably did overlap alot purposely because it was still uhhh 25 degrees and snow on the ground so I knew I wasn't going to burn any up, I just wanted to get Nitrogen in the ground early :drinkup:

Plus, we've had a lot of rain since then also.

Pic's attached for all the above. Thanks

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Chickweed. A winter annual. Best killed by a three way in late fall--November where you are. Tiny white flowers a little later. 10 white petals --which are actually 5 divided petals.
    Also hairy cress--at least I think so in the last picture. Same spray time.

3. kirk1701

ok late fall but what do I kill it with now?

I didn't have any to kill in the fall it creaped in around the edges from neighbors. :cry:

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

A Three-way product should work fine--but perhaps it is cold where you are. Speedzone might work a little faster. In any case, chickweed is a cool weather weed. It should not survive temps over about 85, except in heavy shade.

5. kirk1701

Yea I noticed that last year it just disapeared when it got hot, thought it was me and the spot spray 2,4-D.

Thanks.

6. kirk1701

Hey guys, how about my third question?

7. Young Bros

Young Bros LawnSite Senior Member

Chickweed...3 or 4 way will control at any time of year as long as weed is active and growing. You stripped your lawn with the fert. With a drop spreader you need to apply half rate north and south then east and west. With a rotary spreader you need to apply half rate and spread back to your tracks. This will make sure you dont stripe. Dont apply when winds are >15-20 mph which can cause stripes.

8. kirk1701

Thanks, I'm fixing to put out my Pre-M which has 23% slow release N so I'll go in the opposite direction with that. Should take care of it :)

9. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I see some poa in that lawn also. Thats gonna be hell to get out of that lawn and the more you mow it the more it will spread. You will need to treat with a good pre-emergent in the fall to prevent it from germinating. Good luck with that.

10. kirk1701

Don't understand what you mean poa? I googles POA and if you mean Annual rye yea I have some of that but never been an issue before.

I didn't put a fall Pre-m down because I still had seen fescue germinating.