Weed ID and Treatment

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mdlwn1, May 1, 2011.

1. GrandMaster

GrandMaster LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Xylene will get it done! Oh wait dont use this!

2. joelcoqui

joelcoqui LawnSite Member
    from NY

That is Japanese stiltgrass my friend. How did you ever get rid of it???. Residential lawn. Need help to knip it in the butt now....April before it goes nuts in July. thanks

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Could be knotweed, HOWEVER, considering there are dead skeletons of crabgrass left over from last year, I would say its crabgrass. Here is a pic of crabgrass in Michigan from the 3rd week of March. There are also a couple maple tree seedlings. Photograph from March 27, 2012. Record high temperatures in last few days.
    http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=243827&stc=1&d=1332870892

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  4. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

It was Jap stilt grass. 2 shots of full rate 3 way/trimec/red zone etc...less than 3 weeks apart will get most of it, but application volume and sticker become very important. Miss just a little and you did nothing. Trimec will hurt it far more than redzone. (amine vrs ester
    It germinated WAY to early this year...back in March when we had that warm weather. I am hopeful that a VERY early pre app prior to any germination would prevent it in the first place, but I missed it this year...came out a full month earlier than last year...maybe even 6 weeks...cant remember...lol