Weed ID help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PHS, Sep 27, 2007.

1. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

I can't seem to figure this one out. Anyone know what this is? The sample is a little dried out, it's a fairly dark colored grass. In the lawn you can't really see the grass blades themselves, just a tight clump of seed head stems.

DSCN1014.jpg

DSCN1013.jpg

DSCN1014.jpg

DSCN1013.jpg

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like Annual Bluegrass- Poa Annua.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Not annual bluegrass--not sure--I will look in my book

4. RigglePLC

5. PHS

PE,

It's definitely not Poa Annua but funnily enough I was thinking when I posted the pic, "this looks an awful lot like Poa Annua" :) .

Riggle,

The seed heads look like a brome but they are so small. All of the photos that I found were of mature seedheads and larger plants (to be expected I guess because they weren't in a lawn:) ) , maybe I should grow one out at home to see if it matches.

I did stumble accross Hurricane grass that had a vaguely similar seedhead which led me to annual Fimbry, Fimbristylus annua.

http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1&taxon_id=242357821

I went to about a half dozen links that each had a little bit of info.

The stems of the seed head are distinctly flattend and stiff with 2 veins like an electrical cord. The base now that I look closer, sorta feels angular like a sedge. With the rainfall and the customers' continuous irrigation the conditions were good for sedge growth.

I have been watching a couple clumps in the lawn for a little while, waiting for the inspiration to either pull, identify, or spray them. 2 weeks ago a couple more showed up, yesterday there were a lot of them. I spot sprayed with sethoxydim (in a Centipede lawn) but if it's a sedge that's not going to do anything.

6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I would be curious to see how that weed would respond to Certainty.

If you have some of that, might be worth trying.

Still have no idea what it is though.

7. PHS

TU,

I don't have any Certainty to try. Image didn't work on it because I treated the area a month ago for some other weed problems. Actually I sprayed right before I went on vacation and because of the stunting from Image you couldn't hardly tell I missed a week mowing.

I'm going to hand pull them tomorrow because it isn't a big area, I'm pretty sure it's a sedge, and they increased in number so fast and are seeding like crazy so I don't want mess around experimenting to see what will work. I'll probably take a couple home, plant them in pots and squirt them to see what works.

8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

9. turfnh2oman

turfnh2oman LawnSite Member

Poa annua flat seedhead and bunch type growth habit is what it looks like but the clumpiness and broad sheath at the bottom throws me towards Orchard, Timothy or a Brome. Color also shys away from Poa annua by picture unless it is well fertilized but even then Poa annua stills keeps it "apple green" color which by pic isn't seen here ?
    Maybe it's the lighting ? :confused:

10. RigglePLC

PHS--you are amazing--I agree, annual fimbray...If you don't mind, keep it down south. Be sure to try Drive and Acclaim when you are trying to kill it. As it is an annual, try two apps of crabgrass preventer next spring.