Weed ID help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PHS, Mar 30, 2008.

1. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody know what this is? I've been looking through weed sites and can't find a description of it. The long leaf petioles are triangular like a sedge. The short stem that they are growing from has 4 or 5 very pronounced veins or ridges lengthwise along the stem.

DSCN1054.jpg

DSCN1055.jpg

DSCN1054.jpg

DSCN1055.jpg

2. Elden

Elden LawnSite Member

My first thought was alexandergrass. then I looked in my weed book and seen annual jewgrass and broadleaf panicum. which all looked very similar but then i noticed the little white flowers in the pic so that is kind of throwing me off. they don't really look like the seed head of a grassy weed, which all of the above mentioned are. check those out you got to see the weeds first hand. good luck

3. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

garbanzo grass, use drive.

4. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

round-up pro is cheaper

5. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Elden. Some of those look the similar but the flowers are totally different. I pulled that bigger one out and it had a tiny root system. There are others growing that I think I'll leave until they flower and send pics to an extension agent. They're in my backyard so they're easy to monitor.

Round-up pro is cheaper but I think they are gly resistant. I spot sprayed a couple weeks ago but those weeds are still there. I've been so busy I haven't been paying attention to them and there aren't any dead ones when I looked a few minutes ago. I sprayed them again so we'll see what happens.

6. Elden

Elden LawnSite Member

I say hand pull em. Looks like you only got 2 or 3 of them. J/K Let us know when you find out