Weed ID Help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rlmlandscape, Aug 14, 2011.

1. rlmlandscape

rlmlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, new to the pesticide and herbicide application side of the business. I have a customers lawn that has two types of weeds in it and I don't know what they are. The first one looks to be some type of longer crabgrass and im not sure what the second one is. I have treated the lawn with drive and it seemed to have no affect on these weeds. Could someone help recommend something that would get rid of it.

Thanks, Ryan

2011-08-11_13.07.43.jpg

2011-08-11_13.07.32.jpg

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

3. MikeT

MikeT LawnSite Member

Is there a birdfeeder nearby? Looks like a cluster of sunflower seedlings.

4. rlmlandscape

Not sure if there is a birdfeeder but I have this weed in more than one of my customers lawns.

5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Riggle is right. The first one looks to be K-31 Tall Fescue. Not sure what the lawn is but it appears to be drought stressed.

Not sure what the second one is but Drive will not kill it. I believe drive is primarily for grassy weeds. A typical broadleaf herbicide(along with a mowing to force it to grow) should take care of it.

6. rlmlandscape

Yes the lawn is drought stressed right now in the area where i took the photos. Most of the lawn is still in good shape since its mostly shaded. I will try doing an application of momentum to and see if I have any luck with that.

7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

My guess, and only a guess is the second one is Pigweed.

8. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I'm just thinking out loud (and, because I can't find a weed that looks exactly like that). But, is it possible the plant in the photo could be a type of ground cover that's a weed because of where it's popping up?

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic