Weed ID please

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawncuttinfoo, Jul 26, 2009.

1. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

This weed was dormant in some hauled in topsoil that was used in a renovation. It is lighter color than the rest of the KBG and fine fescues and much faster growing. Looks a lot like a nutsedge but the stem is flat instead of triangular (has 2 sides instead of 3)

weed.jpg

2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Looks like Johnson grass to me since it has the purple bottom, but I do not know if you have Johnson grass in the North.

3. hughmcjr

hughmcjr LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

4. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

Know of a product sold at Lesco that can be used to control Johnsongrass in cool season turf?

5. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

As per weeds go I have one I would like to know what it was?

Was because I no longer have it but never seen one like it before and thank god its gone :drinkup:

Being I no longer have it I have no pic but can describe it with seedlings on the ends of these runners that when touched would pop off and fly in every direction like popcorn?

The seed I would have to describe as thin like reg grass seed but twice as long.

6. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Kirk1701, check this site here, and see if you see anything familiar; maybe an oxalis.

7. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

8. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Nope, didn't see anything that resembled it but thanks.

9. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, I didn't view the page and now see it is in the UK. Look up seed dispersal and choose a local site.

10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I'm betting it's foxtail.