Weed ID please

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by GatorinFla, Jun 16, 2011.

1. GatorinFla

GatorinFla LawnSite Member

Can anyone ID this stuff for me? This stuff grows like crazy, its in my flower beds and I can't get rid of it. Not the Nutsedge....I've got Sedgehammer for that
    I'm in Jacksonville...and Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

perhaps a variety of wandering jew?

If so, not an actual weed, although, i guess if "Weed" is termed any plant growing where someone doesn't desire it, then i guess it would be a "weed".

3. GatorinFla

I googled Wandering Jew and the images for the leaves don't match, unfortunately.

I zapped a bit of it that are not growing near anything important with MSMA......

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

It's hard to tell the size from the pictures. Does this stuff just kind stay under a three inches high or so? Have you ever seen it flower? Does it seem to be an annual that comes up in May-Oct by chance?

Though it looks too thin to be it, check "doveweed" and see what you think.

5. GatorinFla

Doveweed it is....Thanks for the help!

6. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

I find it funny how so many lawn guys know the proper name of weed.
    I myself have been doing this for 19 years and know every plant and palm name but not one weed name. I see this as a weed and that is it. Pull, burn, or sqirt it and that is all I need to know.

7. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

different chemicals for different weeds, thats why diagnosis is key. Otherwise your wasting time and money. If your only talking weeds in beds and not turf I guess its easier to just hit them with whatever, but even there proper id helps with proper application. In that picture obviously the sedge isnt going to die from the round up app. likely to be used.

8. I kill sedge with roundup all the time. It takes a little longer, but it works.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

burn it back yes, doesnt kill the nut so I bet it comes back. I burn em down too but round up wont kill it dead

10. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Agreed - at times when I am being cheap and mixing the quick pro up light - it hardly even turns the sedge leaf brown in between visits while knocking down most of the other weeds.