Weed ID Please....

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by REASON18, Jan 24, 2013.

1. REASON18

REASON18 LawnSite Member

Need help identifying this weed in fescue in NC. Actively growing right now. Grows faster than the fescue. Sprayed yard in December with Trimec Classic for other winter broadleafs but it didn't do anything with this grassy weed.

Hate to have to ask but still new to this and still learning...

1_23_13.JPG

2. Monroe74

Monroe74 LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like yellow nutsedge

3. REASON18

REASON18 LawnSite Member

I thought that but the stems are not triangular and I havent seen a seed head like the yellow nutsedge...

4. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Some type of rye?

It is clearly a grass so trimec or speedzone won't touch it

5. REASON18

REASON18 LawnSite Member

I thought about you when I posted. I figured you have probably seen it in our area. One of my friends said he thought it was some sort of rye too. What do you suggest spraying it with or will the summer heat knock it down?

6. Monroe74

Monroe74 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have another pic

7. REASON18

REASON18 LawnSite Member

Yeah, here is another.....

1_24_12.JPG

8. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

orchardgrass...??

9. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

Well I'm no pro at weed Id and still learning the ropes with spraying pesticides etc.. but, killing grassy weeds as far as I know requires chemicals that usually kill the good grass as well. So what I have done before, if there were not a whole lot of to kill, was get some round up on it without getting on the good grass.

Some people use paint brushes or some type of cloth and wipe it on but I have actually used the spray tip realllllly lightly on the grass weed and if it kills some good grass you can seed or plug it.

10. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member