Lawn Care Forum banner

Weed ID

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Enviro Green 
#1 ·
What is it? Mostly in shady areas, and edges.

Thanks!

EG

Plant Terrestrial plant Tree Flowering plant Herbaceous plant

See less See more
#4 ·
Don't ya just love the 15 letters rule! I could have just said that was Jewgrass or Basket grass. But due to the 15 letter rule I am forced to type more. But seeing as how I gotta do 15 anyway I will give a little info on Basket grass.

Identifying Characteristics: Leaf shape and habitat (shade-loving) are the primary features that help to distinguish this grass from other grasses. Few, if any, grass weeds have a midvein that does not proportionally separate an individual leaf.

Weed Description: Prostrate to erect summer annual grass that thrives in shaded areas. This grass weed roots at the nodes and therefore may quickly spread into shaded areas like backyard lawns, ditches, roadsides, etc.

Leaves: Rolled in the shoot, 3 to 10 mm wide, sparsely hairy on both surfaces. Most leaves have a distinct white midvein, however a key identifying feature of this grass is that the midvein does not divide the leaves into equal halves. For example, one side of the leaf separated by the midvein will be much larger than the other side of the leaf (shown in picture below). Leaves have a very short (0.2 mm), ciliate membranous ligule and no auricles.

Stems: Round, often hairy at the top, and capable of rooting at the nodes

Roots: A fibrous root system.

Flowers: Seedhead composed of 1 to 6 terminal spike branches.

That ought to about cover the 15 required. Hope this helps! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.