Weed Identification Help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 1ousooner, Apr 19, 2012.

1. 1ousooner

1ousooner LawnSite Member

In my second year of weed control service and my weakness is weed identification. At least I know my weakness and for the most part I run into the same type of weeds day in and day out, however this year I have one that is particular persistent in my area and am not sure what it is. I actual had a small patch in my yard and I've never had it before.

So I have two questions:

1. Can someone please tell me what grassy weed this is?

2. What's the best resource for weed identification? I have a manual that Oklahoma puts out but maybe you guys have a better, more complete, resource. Maybe a website that I'm missing? I've looked around a bit but found nothing great. I'd like to be more proficient at weed identification.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. 1ousooner

Oops, the pic didn't download, 1 sec, pic pending....

3. Yatt

Yatt LawnSite Member

A picture would help.

4. 1ousooner

ok, let's try this....

grassy weed1.jpg

5. olcllc

olcllc LawnSite Member

Drooping Bromegrass or AKA Cheatgrass.

6. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

7. 1ousooner

Thanks a million guys (or gals), I'll check those resources out. I'll do some research but just out of curiosity will cheatgrass sun out in the summer or is it along for the long haul? I don't have enough of it in any of my yards to get customers up in arms so not planning to spot up on it but would be nice if it went away.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. olcllc

olcllc LawnSite Member

It's invasive, loves poor soil low in nitrogen. Use Celcius to spot spray and fertilize.

9. 1ousooner

Thanks again for the help!
    Posted via Mobile Device