1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Weed Identification

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfman33, Feb 4, 2003.

1. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

Does anybody knowwhat this weed is? (see attached pictures) I say it's a plantain of some sort, but which one I don't know. It has leaves of the Broadleaf Plantain but this has yellow flowers which, according to my book, the Broadleaf Plantain does not have. Then I thought it was the Buckhorn Plantain, but it doesn't have the same leaves. The flowers look a little like the Yellow Woodsorrel but, again, with differences. Is it possible it got cross-planted? If that's possible that is. I'm stumped on this one. Does anybody have any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

youll find info there!
  3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/weedid/ . Note you can scroll down the left pane and identify your weed from its characteristics. Each part of the ID pane you mark narrows the number of weeds down. A neat electronic plant key for almost 200 grassy and broadleaf weeds.

Picture looks like weak sowthistle.
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

awsome sight
  6. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Weedalert also has names of organiztions you can join, they have good info on their sites as well.
  7. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

I am blind, I guess. Where is the weed ID key at weedalert.com? If you know the name of what you want, sure you can read about it. But how will this site help turfman33?

On the Illinois site I gave above,<a href="http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/weedid/">Weed Identification</a>, you can take a weed you've never seen before, and by using the key to put in the weed's physical characteristics, you can find out what the weed is. Each successive characteristic you enter narrows down the number of possibilities.
  8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

9. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for our help. it looks like a Asiatic Hawksbeard. What do you think?

I'm gonna do some more research on this. No wonder I couldn't find it in the book. I was looking at the wrong weed..haha. i'm going to look now and see if it's in there.