1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Weed in Ornamental Grass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LoneStarLawn, Apr 8, 2001.

1. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Need a weed application for weeds within ornamental grass (mondo grass/ monkey grass) in a bed. The main weed is clover.

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I have never seen weed grow though ornamental grass! Its ussually so think that weeds dont have a fighting chance!

3. LoneStarLawn

The ornamental grass is in establishment...(im not refering to turf grass)

4. Greg Amann

Greg Amann LawnSite Member

I've used the 41% Roundup Ultra at 1 oz. per gallon of water and have treated over the top of evergreen giant liriope, and juniper with no burn what so ever. I always use my property as a test before I try things like this out on my customers property.

5. LoneStarLawn

This is in fact my property...

6. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

roundup, rubber gloves and a sponge.
    Jim L

7. LoneStarLawn

I take it there isn't anything then...otherwise I will be better off doing it by hand.

8. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Actually if you try and remove the weed by hand from an ornamental grass there is little chance that you will pull the root free, and it will grow back. If you wet a sponge with roundup and then grab the weed, with the sponge , pulling the sponge along the leaf surface it will be much more effective than simply trying to yank the weed out by hand. If you want a quicker knockdown add scythe to the mix.
    Good Luck,
    Jim L

9. LoneStarLawn

Ill try that...

10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

trimec should give selective control of broadleaf weeds in larirope. dave