Weed Kill for 2 1/2 Acres

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by EddieO, May 27, 2008.

1. EddieO

EddieO LawnSite Member

I put the Scotts weed killer plus 2 down about 2 months ago. Now I have weeds growing again and clover galore. What kind of weed killer can I use and what are your recommendations for applying it to 2 1/2 acres? It seems like I need the liquid stuff this time.

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

I would reccomend having a professional in your'e area come and take care of it for you, many of these guys on this site could take care of that in no time and I'm sure theres a few in your area, cost wise it will more than likely end up being more cost effective and the results will be a heck of alot better.
  3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I agree with PSU as you would probably be better of to have a professional do do it, and you might break even and not have to do any of the work.

If you do it yourself...I would definitly use liquid weed control as the granular/fert combo products pretty much suck, especially on clover and some harder to control weeds.

If you use a Three Way liquid product you will get great results!
  4. EddieO

EddieO LawnSite Member

What's the best sprayer for 2 1/2 acres?
  5. Joshuakwhit

Joshuakwhit LawnSite Member

A 25 gallon pull behing sprayer from Tractor supply would do just fine
  6. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

If you've never sprayed before, HIRE A PROFESSIONAL. Spraying is a technique that is learned over time and if you've never done it before you'll be in for a surprise. There's too many things that you will need to know (calibration, gallons per minute, square foot per minute, pressure, spray tip, application technique, etc...etc...etc...) These are not things that you can learn in 5 minutes before starting your lawn. Trust me on this one.
  7. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I belive the best sprayer is the one that is a pro. You could have your weeds treated right that way. if it was easy, I would'nt have any customers.
  8. Joshuakwhit

Joshuakwhit LawnSite Member

Whatever, you guys make this sound like rocket science. You don't need a pro who will charge 250.00-400.00 dollars to come out and spray your dandys. Read all the instructions that come with your sprayer and herbicide, you'll be fine.
  9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

You nailed it on the head! What homeowner reads labels....let alone follow them!

I don't think anybody said this is rocket science....but you should and better know what you are doing.

As mentioned, as long as the unit is calibrated, the correct rate is used then it isn't complicated at all.

I have picked up A LOT of lawns from homeowners that THOUGHT they knew what they were doing.

They ended up spending all the money and still had me come out! :laugh:

I have plenty of work to do so I just be honest with them. In most cases they are money and headaches ahead to just have us do it right the first time.
  10. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

The most important thing in weed control is knowing how many gallons per acre your sprayer is putting out. I can get excellent weed control using any sprayer or herbicide. It might not be rocket science but most people do not have a clue, even many in the business. When someone ask "How much to mix per gal" you know they are clueless.