Weed killer after top-dressing & seeding

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by coolbrze, Mar 16, 2012.

1. coolbrze

coolbrze LawnSite Member

Can you apply a post-emergent broadleaf weed killer after top-dressing a lawn & seeding or should you wait until the seed has taken & is semi-established?

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

In my experiments last year. I used Lesco Eliminate (Similar to Horsepower) when new grass was 1.5 inches tall--no injury resulted.

Label recommends to wait until it is mowed twice.

Or...did you mean you wanted to spray before germination? Has anybody tried that?

3. maleaco

maleaco LawnSite Member

Yes usually you can if you follow directions maybe even a little less than directions for saftey

4. coolbrze

coolbrze LawnSite Member

It was someone we saw applying it last week while working across the street from us. They top-dressed the lawn w/ compost, seeded it, then applied a granule broadleaf weed killer, I can't remember what it was though. I didn't say anything but was wondering how that would work out w/ the seed germinating...

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Experiments I conducted in August of 2011, found that seed sowed 3 days after spraying bare soil with Lesco Eliminate herbicide germinated adequately and were only about a quarter inch shorter than untreated soil.
    T-Zone treated soil still showed some stunting and reduced germination, when sowed up to 5 days after spraying.