Weed killer for beds?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Appalachian landscape, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

what can I use to kill weeds in an established bed? The bed has juniper, azelea, bradford pear, and nandinas, maybe a few other plants. I've seen preen, but I hear it doesn't work very well. I had a friend tell me poast would work, but I know nothing about it.

2. Turf Smart

Turf Smart LawnSite Member

If you want a granular preventative control, try either Treflan or Pre-M 1.5%. Both will give 4-6 months control. Weeding sucks! A good spray pre-emergent app would be Pendulum Aquacap. It is Pre-M micro-encapsulated so it won't stain as bad. Both are compatible with roundup, but you have to be very careful.

3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

What about Snapshot?

4. airtractrdrivr

airtractrdrivr LawnSite Member

I've used Preen twice, and had terrible results both times. I've heard Ornamec is good, but havent tried it.

5. sjj14

sjj14 LawnSite Member

snapshot is the way to go! If you can't get that go the Treflan route.

6. Turf Smart

Turf Smart LawnSite Member

Unfortunately, Snapshot is not registered in NY. I have heard that it is a very good product. Here, Treflan or Pre-M is the best granular form of preventative.

7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Products that might work for you to kill existing weeds in the beds are Fusilade II and Image.

Both of those can be used over the top of certain ornamentals.

8. lucky4511

lucky4511 LawnSite Member

lontril is also good to use in beds w/existing plant material - won't harm ground covers even.