Weed Killer for Vegetable Garden?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GardenAround, Jun 4, 2005.

1. GardenAround

GardenAround LawnSite Member

First off, I'm a homeowner and just looking for some friendly advice.

I have an area of land (about 30' x 40') that was used extensively in the past for a vegetable garden (previous owners), but has since grown up a bit. I clear cut it again a few years back and even tilled a small area for a few veg., but it has since grown back up again.

I would like to use the entire area for a vegetable garden again starting next spring, and would like some ideas to try and rid the space of weeds and some momosa trees that have begun to sprout. Can I safely have a chemical weed killer applied now to kill back all of the vegetation and then till it under, maybe planting some rye or something to help for next year's planting?

I've always heard no chemical weed killers in a veg garden, but in my case I'm just trying to prepare a future site. Any experience or advice on what I should do?

Thanks in advance.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Round-up.

No Till farmers use it all the time.

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Yep. And you can plant your seed right away. No need to wait.

4. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I plant half my garden to Roundup Ready soybeans. I spray the soybeans once or twice a year to kill weeds. In spring I roto till the soybeans under. This improves the soil and perrenial weeds are not a problem.

5. GardenAround

GardenAround LawnSite Member

Makes me feel better knowing I can use Roundup...

Thanks.