1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

weed killer share same tank as selective herbicide?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by godjwood, Jul 23, 2009.

1. godjwood

godjwood LawnSite Member
    from RI

I only have one spray tank and I use it for weed killer usually.

Yesterday I rinsed it out really well and put in a selective herbicide and sprayed a couple lawns.

i didnt think this would be an issue...

am i in for a nasty surprise...??
  2. ejojr

ejojr LawnSite Member

rule of thumb is rinse 3 times...hope you also sprayed out any remaining residue in the wand. If you only rinsed once, good luck.
  3. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

weed killer is a herbicide. are you licensed
  4. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

Use Nutri-sol.. it's available at farm stores :) Good stuff for tank cleaning.
  5. T-Trim

T-Trim LawnSite Member

No No No. We never mix nonselective in a selective tank. not worth the time. just buy a different tank sprayer.
  6. djflats

djflats LawnSite Senior Member

I had been using a 2 gallon sprayer to spray some Bayer Weed and Crabgrass Killer to kill off some clover. I wanted to put down some Spectracide on some nasty weeds and ivy so I just got another sprayer. I wasn't for sure what to rinse it with or if there is such a thing so I got another to be on the safe side.
  7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

What were you spraying, names of each?
  8. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

It is also a pesticide. :)
  9. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

Uh oh, you better photo copy your license and post it now! The round up police monitor this site heavily.:laugh:

I assume you drive to your jobs. A truck is a motor vehicle....are you licensed?:laugh:

You can buy a tank cleaner powder and wash the tank a couple of times. With the time that takes and the possibility of killing whatever you're spraying if you don't clean good enough, the cost of another sprayer is well worth it.
  10. godjwood

godjwood LawnSite Member
    from RI

hmm thanks for the input guys.

yea i actually rinsed 3x and sprayed out the wand. So I guess I am safe.

The way I figured though, is that its already diluted from the concentrate.. then you rinse it out 3x.. then whatever remnants are in there are diluted again in 3.5 more gallons.. so i would have to assume there would have to be such trace amounts in it that it wouldnt affect anything.