1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Weed killer under shrubs?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by whitenack, Apr 5, 2006.

1. whitenack

whitenack LawnSite Member

Last weekend I put down some mulch in a large section of the yard. I did my best to get most of the weeds out before I put the mulch down, but getting them all was impossible.

Already, I have dandelions and other little weeds poking their heads through the mulch.

In the area, I have young boxwoods and barberries, so I am worried about their health.

Are there any weed killers that are safe for those shrubs but will kill weeds and grasses? What about spraying under trees?

2. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

"Preen", you can get it anywhere.... walmart, home depot, lowes, etc etc
  3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Preen is a good pre-emergant (will prevent seeds from sprouting), but will do zippo for existing weed plants. Round up is ok for under shrubs. Just DO NOT GET IT ON THE LEAVES OF THE SHRUBS. If you do goof, wash it off immediately.
  4. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

A careful post emergence application of glyphosate, such as Roundup, shouldn't hurt the shrubs - normally. But like upidstay said, don't get it on the foliage. A chemical "drench" could also harm the shrubs, so don't get carried away, but instead try spraying just leaves of the weeds and nothing else. Don't do it on a windy day.

It isn't that uncommon to see trees bordering agricultural fields suffering from herbicide drift, or in ground poisoning.
  5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You need to put your mulch down thicker..if the weeds cant get light..they can't grow.