Weed killing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CoreyD, Jan 25, 2007.

1. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

I got a call from a customer today he has a 1 acre yard and he has weeds like... clovers all over the yard... he wants them killed and he wants the yard to be all grass and all green.... of course its winter time and the grass isint gonna be pretty color green right now but.... what do you recommend on killing weeds? Uprooting them would probably do a better job than posion.... but that would take a very long time.... is there a weed killer posion that wont hurt grass?

2. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

u going to get harassed for not having a license so be prepared

3. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

lol well he even asked me if i was new to the business... and i said yes and he said well theres nothing wrong with that... and he told me that a company called LawnDoctor which is really big around here did his yard and he said it didint look any different

4. Perfect Lawn

Perfect Lawn LawnSite Member

I would learn a little more about treating lawns before going out there and doing it. From the sounds of it that you dont know what to put down for Broadleaf weeds that wont kill grass. It will cost you alot more in repair if someone told you to put roundup down. Talk to your local lawn product distributers. And Learn.

5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

His first mistake was using that company.

His second may be using you if you aren't careful. What you need is known as a pesticide. Probablly a broadleaf application...granual if he is not looking for immediate results liquid if he is looking for immediate results.

You may want to contract this out to someone else until you get your feet wet.

6. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

First thing you should do is go get a licenses.....then you will have all the knowledge you need to cure any lawn.....Put please don't go out there and start treating lawns with any doing your home work......On that note, I don't think anyone will be willing to share any secrets because you are not licensed to used pesticides....

7. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

LOL pull the clover out by hand. Tell you what, since you sound like you dont know how to or what your doing why dont you befriend a fert company. When you get a call about weeds you can give this company a call and they can take care of it for you. That way your not liable for any damaged. You can also refer them as you sign new accounts. You can say you work with them and that way there will the three sets of eyes on the lawn and if you see something , say grubs, you can call them and they can take care of it right away. Makes you look like you know what your doing.
    Not trying to bash you, Just offering friendly advise to help you out.

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you have no clue what you are doing, and you are going to charge someone for this lack of education.....

take some classes or go to your states dep of agriculture web site and start from the beginning

9. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I wonder what kind of fine you would get for applying pesticides without an applicators license.

10. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Its usually enough to Cripple most small LCO.....