Weed man franchise

Discussion in 'Franchising' started by cdqat1432, Jan 23, 2013.

1. cdqat1432

cdqat1432 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Youngstown, Ohio

Has anyone franchised with Weed Man or any of the others? I already have an established lawn maintenance business with 160 fertilization/spray accounts. Seems like a lot of money. Not sure.

2. CorbinSchlatter

CorbinSchlatter LawnSite Member

We currently own a Weed Man Franchise. We are entering our 10th year of owning the franchise, prior to Weed Man we owned a smaller business than you currently have. A franchise is not a "Golden Egg" but has provided us structure, clarity and the road map to achieve success.

We would make the same decision again.

Feel free to contact me directly.

Malk.Lawncare likes this.
  3. GaryBK

GaryBK LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

Weedman in my area is hurting me somewhat with their deceptive business practices with new customers with people asking me if I'm a "snake in the grass". I found out what that meant last year when a guy almost literally chased me out of his yard on a first application when he didn't realize the landlord had hired me. When we began talking he explained the documentary to me and told me to check it out. :(

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2012/snakeinthegrass/
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. cdqat1432

cdqat1432 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Youngstown, Ohio

Interesting. I am thinking that they are not my style. The one poster said it all, "I dont want a lawn care company, I want a landscaping company". That is what we are, and I dont want some suits to come in and tell me that I have to do things differently and then charge me a ton of money. Supposedly they are coming into my area. They will never take anything off of me because my customers want a landscaping company. Maybe they can help suffocate trugreen.

5. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Working for a franchise is the same as working for a National. They exploit you. Why pay someone to use their name. There is nothing wrong with your own name.

RaleighTurf likes this.
  6. GaryBK

GaryBK LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

I think you can grow faster with a Franchise. All the school of hard knock lessons are given to you and you do not need to reinvent the wheel. There are many advantages to a franchise. However, you do own your own business but have little control over it. You need to do what head office tells you to do. And like the Weed Man video, a few branches can ruin the reputation for every franchise owner. What percentage you pay for the rights, is most often covered by the increased profits of being in the franchise. Franchising is great for some but would not work with others. It depends on your personality type.

7. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

Ever heard of Bill's Burgers? How about McDonalds?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. vanncann

vanncann LawnSite Senior Member

They came in the Dothan AL area around 18-24 months ago and have tried to take over all things grounds related... There crew is full of nin-com-poops and do not know their ass from a hole in the ground!!! They blanket an area no matter what and try to talk down any one else... Just my experience...

9. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

When I drive past Bill's, it's appearance is either going to pull me in or let me drive on.

There is a chance that I may like the food or will not.

Thing is when I drive by McDonalds I know the food will be of poor quailty. So I will keep on driving.

10. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

No I havent heard of them. But it sounds to me like they deal with a different kind of grass.:rolleyes: