1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

weed mowing cost per acre ????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HarryD, Jun 14, 2002.

1. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

getting ready too bid some weed mowing and have never done it before . need to get a idea of price per acre for rough weed mowing
  2. HarryD

3. HarryD

4. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

What would you be cutting these weeds down with? have you got a bush hog, or something like a Gravely with a sturdy deck, or what? Nothing against other mowers, I love my Scag, but when the weeds get tall, the Gravely comes out to play.
    And rember, with tall weeds, the likelyhood of yellowjackets is drastically increased. And hidden obstacles, rocks, holes, etc. You may break something, price it high. Way high. Price it like you will break something. You don't lose money on the jobs you don't get.

This is my second post here, keeping it short this time.

By the way, whats up with the "bumps"? Are you trying to bump-feed string out of your computer?
    Crawdad Holler, TN
  5. HarryD

hehe the bumps are bumpimg post back to the top of the heap

not sure yet mite buy a tractor for this but for now i have a 60 inch gravley its a newly graded lot with no grass yet so i mite
    spray weeds to keep it all grass its just a little over 6 acres and im not sure where to start my bid
    probly will be once a month or every 3 weeks or until the sun burns it up :)
  6. crawdad

What size Gravely have you got that 60" deck mounted on? Rider or WB? I've got the 52 for my rider, an 8179KT Have you done any similar weedcutting jobs with it? How long do you think it would take? If ya cant figure it in hours, figure in days, a half day or so?

I got a few Gravely's :drinkup:

7. HarryD

its a walk behind 60 hydro but i use a stand on velke.

i already bid it a $100.00 a acre i figure it will take me about 2 too 3 hours if its not too long

i said weed mowing but at this point its just dirt not sure when there gunna seed it so it will be nothing but weeds the first year
    and its pretty flat
  8. crawdad

I've never used the Gravely hydro units, just the tractors, but I'd say you could make some money there, seeing as how you said it's flat. So long as it doesnt get too tall, so as to take a long time. Fresh blades going in, and go for it. I was thinking you were talking about cutting something way tall, and out of control.
  9. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

most of my large accounts chuches airports ect. are weeds. i charge around $75 per hour.

Shrpe blades are the key to making these types of account profitable. ;)
  10. SpicknSpan

SpicknSpan LawnSite Member

i am currently using a two wheel gravely tractor with a 42" rough cut deck. The gravely is 8 Hp.

The deck is fine but would be much better with a side shute, heavy grass and weeds build up under the deck and add load to the blades.

I think the gravely would perform better at higher speed with a 12.5Hp engine. The 8 struggles a little in high ratio (needs more torque).

Lots over half acre would become very time consuming with this machine and i am planning to go for a small 30 - 45Hp tractor and bush hog (±8 foot).

Also does anyone use pistol grip walk behinds for heavy grass / weeds (waist to chest hight) and with which deck?