1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"Weed-N-Feed" Products

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by boxoffire, Jun 6, 2006.

1. boxoffire

boxoffire LawnSite Member

I have a customer who lives in another state right now and has me take care of her lawn for her. She rarely comes and waters her small lawn so it's getting a little brown from the southeast heat at times. It appears it's only about 10 months established sod that is a cool season grass that I can tell thus the browning some in it from the heat and dry conditions. She asked me to put out some "weed-n-feed" product like Scotts. From what I've read this is not the time to put out any fertilizer for cool season grasses, right? I don't want to do more harm than good that's for sure. Should I just tell her that? I'm not even sure I can put out that product if I don't have a license to put out chemicals that kill weeds which are in that product right? Is there a product that is fertilizer only that is very safe to put out this time of the year for say a certain type of fescue lawn? Thanks for tips as always. Adam
  2. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

You're right, you must have a license. Also, if it is dry and hot, fertilizer is a no-no. Call a local squirt and fert company and talk to them. See if the customer is willing to allow them to do the work. Sometimes you can get a good relationship with a company like that. You give him referrals for spraying and he gives you mowing.
  3. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

If the lawn is showing stress due to lack of water, you'd be doing your customer a favor by suggesting irrigation. Fertilizer and chemicals aren't going to help a lawn going dormant because of the heat.