Lawn Care Forum banner

weed n fertlizer

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Jroctx 
#1 ·
can we as lco's apply weed control to lawns and fertlizer without a license? does anyone have a license and what are the requirments (url, etc). we have researched this thru the state site but never got a defined answer.
our next search will have to be thru the local ag extension service.
i apply weed control to the concrete cracks but not to the lawn, have not fertlized yet till i can get an answer. the fine may be to steep!
thanks in advance to your replys!

#2 ·
Originally posted by hubby-wife
can we as lco's apply weed control to lawns and fertlizer without a license? does anyone have a license and what are the requirments (url, etc). we have researched this thru the state site but never got a defined answer.
our next search will have to be thru the local ag extension service.
i apply weed control to the concrete cracks but not to the lawn, have not fertlized yet till i can get an answer. the fine may be to steep!
thanks in advance to your replys!
Short answer - NO, you can't apply pesticides without a license. Go to your local Ag Ext. They will give you all the info. on licensing. And yes, the fines can be steep.

#4 ·
You can contact the Texas Structural Pest Control Board @ 1-512-305-8250.

In the state of Texas, if you apply any chemical on a property that you do not own and you don't have a license then you commit a class C misdemeanor and if you’ve been convicted of this before then it becomes a class B misdemeanor. The state of Texas can fine the applicator, the business, and the business owner. This information is taken from the Law and Regulations handbook.

Page 19
Civil Penalties and Injunctive Relief Section 10. Penalty of not less than $50 nor more than $2,000 for each act of violation and for each day of violation.

Criminal Offenses Section 10A. The penalty may be in an amount no to exceed $5,000 a day for each violation. Each day a violation continues or occurs may be considered a separate violation.

Page 21
The state of Texas is kind enough to give you 30 days to pay these fines. If these fines cannot be paid within the 30 days then interest will be added and you can expect a nice vacation in jail for the applicator and the owner. The business will also be out of business courtesy of the State of Texas.

What are the chances of getting caught? The state has agents who do nothing but drive around looking for you. They also encourage your competitors that did take the time to get licensed to report you. Doing so helps them put you out of business. What easier way to get rid of your competitor? In short, “The eyes of Texas are upon you” so don’t do it. It is cheaper to hire someone else to do it.

#6 ·
Thanks cemars. It blows me away how many unlicensed "mow & blows" are out there that run up to Home Depot or Lowes and buy chemicals and then apply them on their customers lawns. They don't know the penalties and they are surprised to find that ignorance of the laws is no excuse.

If you are in Texas and you don't have a chemical license you had better not apply chemicals. The state doesn't fool around. They will put you in jail and out of business.

#7 ·
Getting your license in TX will take you a little study time and end up costing you around $300 when all is said and done.

But you'll find it's worth it.

Besides, you want to operate a legitimate business, right?

Can't believe you got confusing info from the Dept of Ag, though. They're very straightforward about this, and are fond of saying that "you can't pour boiling water on a fire ant mound without a license in TX."

And that's as it should be.

Go to your county extension ofc. They'll help you out.

#8 ·
I also have looked at the Dept of Ag website and found it to be very confusing. When I sent them an email they told me that I only need a license if I am applying something that is on their limited-use list or state-controlled list. I have been under the impression since I began that I could not spray round up on weeds. But after I receiveed the email it changed my mind.

If someone can clear this up for me I would appreciate it. I am interested in getting my license but could not find the steps for that either. If someone knows a number I could call to ask questions about receiving a license, I would appreciat it.

Thanks,

Brian K
Fatboy Lawncare

#10 ·
For licensing requirements only for turf and ornamental applications, stay away from the structural pest control board and go to the department of agriculture.
SPCB requires each applicator to have their own license. TDA, only the license holder has to have, and you can have multiple crews operating under one license holder.
The easiest way to understand Texas TDA guidelines I have found is, provided the LCO receives money for spraying, regardless of the amount/type of material, you better have a license. This goes for weed and feed applications that are granular as well.
With regards to license cost, mandatory CEU's, time to study, etc - your license will cost about $700 to get and about $300 per year to maintain.

#12 ·
Something else to remember is the great state of Texas. You had better have a license if a customer wants you to fertilize with a Home Depot grade fertilizer that contains any amount of herbicide.
Additionally, if you are out mowing, and you hit a sprinkler head, if you do not have an Irrigators License - not the installers as it won't work here - you cannot fix the problem you have created. Initiall fines on TDA related cases are starting around $1,000 per event and the fines for Irrigation related offenses are starting at about $2,500 per event. I work directly with and consult for both departments from time to time and what I do know is since the state is broke, the resprective dept heads have mandated mandatory fine structures. No more Mr Nice Guy, no discretion, nothing.

#13 ·
Yep, this is great for us with licenses! Many complain about "scrubs", but true professionals striving to grow their business will seek to obtain licenses. With the increasing amount of newcomers, also comes the increase in mistakes.

Forexample, running over sprinkler heads! A newcomer not knowing the law attempting to fix one could be the end of their biz due to the huge fine. And for you, a new customer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.