1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Weed Preventer in rock beds?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hobbsd, Apr 11, 2006.

1. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

I had a customer request a pre-emergent type weed preventer for his rock beds on the side of his store. No big deal, except he said that he heard that there was some type of chemical that would keep absolutely all weeds from coming up for an entire year. He only wants this one type of preventer, but doesn't know what it is called

Does anyone know what he is talking about or any suggestions on what to get.

I use Lesco as my fert / chem supplier.

Thank you.
  2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Doesn't Lesco love answering these questions ?

There are 'cides that kill EVERYTHING like Diuron , it's a pre and post .
    If there are any roots of keepers plants , they'll die , too
  3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

If there are plants in these areas, I wouldn't use anything more than Snapshot, which gives 8 + months of control at it's higher use rates.

I have used soil sterilants before, but I actually make the client sign a waiver explaining that the area may not be suitable for any plants/trees for up to 4 years.
    If you use a sterilant be sure there are no tree roots under or around the area to be treated.
    I was at a State chem applicators conference and the state ag dept had pics of a bunch of dead trees and grass that was a good 20 to 30 feet from an area treated with sterilants, the applicator hadn't factored in leaching, and yes he had to replace all the trees & grass and was fined.:nono: