weed problem

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by LawnInOrder, Sep 1, 2006.

1. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

ok i did a mulch job for a customer 2 years ago. I put down black paper like the customer request. The problem is that weeds grow crazy on top of the black landscape paper. I have to weed it every month and charge her. I wanted to know if there is something i can put down( like fert of some type) that would stop the excess amounts of weeds but not kill teh holly bushes i planted. It gets so bad in a month that it looks like a weed patch and no mulch can be seen. What woudl you recommend to do. Thanks in advance LawnInOrder

2. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

spot spray em with glyphosate the moment you start seeing them, just dont get it on the holly leaves .

3. Greenfoot

Greenfoot LawnSite Member

Put down a pre-emergence

4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

What kind of weeds are they?

5. Mike's Lawn & Snow

Mike's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

pull up all the weeds and use an application of preen

6. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

you need to put down snapshot when you weed the beds. It is a granular pre-emergent designed for flowerbeds, I started using it on all my annual accounts last year & have had great results.

7. LawnInOrder

i am not a pro when it comes to fert. will the preen kill the hollys at all or? What type of app of preeen shopuld i use. Thanks LawnInOrder

8. evergreenedmond

preen won't kill anything it's a pre-emergent it works pretty good but it doesn't control as many weeds as snapshot

9. LawnInOrder

Where could i purchase snapshot and how many times a year you put it down? LawnInOrder

10. evergreenedmond

You can buy it at lesco & we put it out every 3 to 4 months. It saves me a ton in labor.