1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Weed problems with one of my yards...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grass guys, Jul 17, 2008.

1. grass guys

grass guys LawnSite Member

I have these weeds that are taking over my customer's lawn and I am wondering what the weed is and how can I kill it and what would be the best fertilizer that I could use on my customer's lawn so this unknown weed doesn't come back. One of my buddies said it could be black medic. In advance thanks for any and all opinions and comments. Here are a few pics, tell me what you all think...

2. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Not black medic, but oxalis. Good luck, that stuff is a nightmare. I use a product called Wil-Power which knocks it dead fast, but it comes back from seed in no time, so you have to keep spraying and spraying and spraying...

Just remember, it's weed control, not erradication.
  3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Around my parts, oxalis is red. Perhaps this is a different strain? And black medic has yellow flowers, but looks nothing like that...

While we don't really have it here, I'm thinking this is woodsorrel.
  4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, it is oxalis. In cool season turf other than bentgrass, Turflon Ester will kill it. If it comes back from seed, it is time to add GalleryDF to the tank mix. In warm season turf, metsulfuron will kill it. Do not do Turflon on any warm season grasses other than zoysia. Banvel will work in both cool and warm season grasses, but trees and shrubs in or near the lawn can be very sensitive to it leaching down to their roots.
  5. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

As many have stated we can recommend a product that does kill it but there is a strong chance it might come back from seed. We use a product that does wonders on it called Q4.
  6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

If it's oxalis, you'll have to use preemergent for years to prevent it. They actually have exploding seed pods that launch those seeds. And they are waaaaaay aggressive...
  7. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

Use Dimension in the spring and oxalis will not be an issue. For now just use 3 way or similar. It's like crabgrass though - once it starts breaking out, you'll see a lot of it the rest of the year.
  8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

9. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

There are 800 species of oxalis, which is a member of the woodsorrel family. The picture is yellow woodsorrel. The reddish variety is creeping woodsorrel. We have both here and they are both very easy to kill, but very difficult to control.
  10. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, I'm seeing a lot here now. Loves the heat and humidity, thin dry turf. Usually dies as soon as we start getting cool nights. I spray Momentum FX from a backpack sprayer and "poof", its gone.