weed serviceh

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hickmanlawncare, Jul 24, 2002.

1. hickmanlawncare

hickmanlawncare LawnSite Member

i am thinking about starting up a weeding service and my question is this how many people do weeding and if they dont do they sub. it out do you think this could work? thank you any help would be apprieated thank you

2. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

COME ON NO ONE I MEAN NO ONE IS GOING TO PAY YOU 20.00 AN HOUR OR MORE TO PULL WEEDS AND SECOND OF ALL DO YOU WANT TO SIT THERE WITH YOUR NOSE IN SOMEONE ELSES DIRT
    FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO DO.:)

3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldnt do it either i would pay someone who is desperate for money 5 to 10 dollars an hour, or I would just trim the weeds down/spray with Roundup and remulch if they wanted it to be. I would just add this onto their regular mowing service for 5 or ten dollars each time i went out there and just do it once or twice a month so the weeds are kept down. Otherwise I would just charge the hourly wage to do it.

4. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

I DO IT FOR TWO DOCS WHO I STARTED OUT WITH SO I JUST DO IT TO KEEP THEM HAPPY BUT THAT IS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO ONE ELSE THEY ARE ALL TO CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP SECOND OF ALL MY BACK HURTS:)

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Are you talking about hand weeding properties or are you talking spraying?

6. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Weeding,I think of the last little old lady that came up to me and said "How many hours weeding do you do for $5":dizzy:

7. wolfpacklawn

wolfpacklawn LawnSite Member

We pull weeds all the time. Some places we pull weekly after we mow and we charge $35 per hour. What's the problem? If you are taking care of the entire property there are times when you must pull weeds. For instance weeds that are to close to ornamentals to spray. At the properties that want us to have it looking great all the time it is easier to do a walk around the property each week after we mow than it is to spray all the time. I don't mind pulling a few weeds now and then. Now if there was going to be a few hours of straight weeding then that is what employees are for.

Now if you are offering this as your only service I doubt that you could get much more than $10-15 per hour.

Looking back at this weeks work we have 4 1/4 hours of weeding already. I would say we average about 5-6 hours per week.

8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I do weed control as part of my service. I just pull anything that is too close to spray. I hate pulling any weeds but sometimes you have to. It is not worth risking damage to a plant with spray. On my commercials it is included in my monthly contracts, on residentials it is an extra add on. It has been WELL worth it to become certified to spray.

9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Yeh, i dont see what the problem is. people will pay for that service in a heartbeat around here in my opinion. i dont really do any weed pulling unless asked too, but when i worked for another company before, we pulled weeds at all the commercial accounts because it was in the contract. Money is money, and people will pay for it, i say go for it.

10. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

I charge between $.11 and $.08 per square foot of bed area and prorate over 12 months take it or leave it.

Put down Snapshot 2x per year and I'm not pulling or spraying too much.

Roger